Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Acting, it's a piece of piss.

Admittedly, I need to stop giving the whole subject of the article away in the title. Or, as my wife would put it, to stop coming so early.

How difficult can acting really be? I spend evenings in the pub, as I just have, and when I look at some of the people there I realise that they are playing a role - they're trying to be funny, they're trying to be ingratiating, they're trying to be more attractive to the opposite sex - whichever way you look at it, they're certainly not being themselves.

They do this for free, in the vain hope of acceptance, or, in rarefied circumstances, getting laid. The most important thing is that they're usually not very good. The key is to find a role in which you can develop, one which you can meld yourself with. I have been given this opportunity.

I will be attending a murder mystery party this New Years, in which all the participants must assume a role. My role is that of "a wine critic and a wine snob. Sneering, patronising and often downright rude, you don't care whether people like you or not. Which is just as well, because most people don't". Shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Acting - it's a piece of piss.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Foetus said...

2010 - Yay! Or, more accurately, "Oh for god's sake not again". How many bloody times have I carefully signed and initialled a master document only to put January 2009 in the Date area? Well, only a couple, but it's still annoying. And, yes, it's only a 2 second job to reprint the first page and sign it again, although it's probably more like 2 minutes in tedious reality due to the amount of time staring at the flashing "Data Ready" light on the printer before it decides to actually spew out the aforementioned page. I know tapping the printer doesn't speed it up any, but you really can't help it sometimes. At least we seem to have evolved beyond the spurious "PC Load Letter" message that was the bain of so many (two, actually) people's daily office life. Although that message did provide us with that rather excellent scene in Office Space. But I digress, which is actually what I'm getting pretty good at these days. I suppose that's management for you. It gives an impression of knowledge and authority without the need to possess either. Thanks for listening

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home